- 1 fluid ounce of a Spanish-style gold rum¹
- ½ fluid ounce of a Spanish-style light rum
- ½ fluid ounce of fresh lime juice
- ¼ fluid ounce of falernum
- ¼ fluid ounce (1½ teaspoons) of demerara gum syrup or 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) of demerara sugar
Make sure the lime juice is well-strained. Shake all of the ingredients with ice and double strain into a frozen cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
This drink would have originally been blended, however I shake blended tiki drinks instead.
Donn Beach created this tiki version of the Daiquiri, circa 1937, by splitting the sweetener with falernum. This recipe was documented by Beachbum Berry. Many variations seem to exist online.
The original recipe specifically calls for a Virgin Islands rum, hence the name.