- 1 fluid ounce of a Spanish-style gold rum
- ½ fluid ounce of a gold Jamaican rum or a blend of gold Jamaican rums
- ½ fluid ounce of a dark Jamaican rum or a blend of dark Jamaican rums
- ½ fluid ounce of fresh lime juice
- ½ fluid ounce of demerara gum syrup
- ½ teaspoon of falernum
- ½ teaspoon of pomegranate grenadine
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
Shake all of the ingredients with ice and pour (without straining) into a larger-sized lowball glass or double old fashioned glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
This version of the drink would have originally been blended, however I shake it instead.
This version of Planter’s Punch is by Donn Beach from 1937 and documented by Beachbum Berry. It is one of many Planter’s Punch variations, but it has a lot in common with Beach’s Zombie and helps demonstrate the connection between the two drinks by being more toned-down in alcohol as well as simpler and closer to an original Caribbean punch.